What is a deal breaker is the quality of pancake it produced. You don’t need an egg, although you are free to add one. All you really need is water. After mixing, you’re supposed to let it set for 5 minutes before pouring onto the griddle. The pancakes cooked up fine, but the finished product is much more like a mutated crepe than a pancake. Pancakes should be fluffy, not spongy. The flavor is okay, but the texture just overrides the okay flavor to provide a disappointing taste experience.
I tried different variations — using milk instead of water both with and without egg — all to no avail. I have a mind to try using a little oil, no egg, and water. But I’m not very hopeful. My experience thus far has certainly been far below expectations. I’m still sold on King Arthur flour, as I continue to experience great baking with it. But their pancake mix? No thanks. I’ll pass and stick with my Krusteaz, a wonderful product from Seattle that has never disappointed me. If it’s not broke, don’t try to fix it.
I settled upon something I haven’t done in years. I went to Micky D’s for an apple pie. The whole trip took roughly a quarter hour, and the pie actually tasted better than that fried thing I remember having the last time I got a pie there. I don’t think I’ll be doing it again anytime soon. But it did save the day for me.
And I got a better idea afterwards that I’ll use in the future. Next time I’ll visit a diner for a real piece of pie. Plus I can deviate away from apple if I so desire. I think I will desire!
Recently I had a hankering for no-bake cookies. I haven’t had any in I don’t know how long, but the craving was definitely there. Or maybe the craving was just for chocolate. At any rate, I decided to make no-bake cookies to scratch that itch.
I had never actually made no-bake cookies before, but it didn’t seem that hard, and in fact it wasn’t. Recipes vary, but they’re all pretty much the same. Still, I decided to modify my first ever batch. I just couldn’t help but experiment. I’m too curious. Plus I wanted to reduce my sugar intake. So half the sugar was gone. Boom. Just like that.
Then I decided to add in a couple of twists. First, I added in dried cherries, which I thought would complement the dark cocoa I was using. I always prefer dark chocolate to any other variety, so I always reach first for it over any other variety. It’s supposedly healthier for you, and even if it’s not, I just love the flavor. Adding dried cherries provided a very good complement to the dark chocolate flavor, although it added some sugar back into the batch. For a recipe calling for 2 cups sugar, I used 1 cup sugar and then added ½ cup dried cherries. I’m going to have to experiment with lowering the sugar content even more in future.
My second modification was to make cookie bars instead of individual cookies. I don’t have the space in my place t put out all the wax paper sheets I would need for even half a batch of individual cookies. Plus bars are always easier to deal with than individual cookies. What I didn’t expect (but should have, being a metallurgist) is the hardened slab that resulted once the batch had finally cooled in the pan. I needed a serious knife to cut off individual bars.
Still, my experiment was a huge success. The cookies taste wonderful. The dark chocolate and cherries go really good together. And best of all, my craving for no-bake cookies is totally gone!
I was shopping for groceries the other day and saw a stand at the end of an aisle offering English muffins on sale. It was then that an idea hit me. Why not use an English muffin to make French toast? It sounded intriguing, so I decided to purchase some English muffins and conduct a small experiment in my kitchen.
I started by mixing together the following ingredients:
1 Tbl vanilla
1 tsp sugar
½ cup milk
In retrospect, I should have used only 1/4 cup milk, because it gave me way more egg mixture than I needed, and it was a diluted mixture at that.
Once my skillet got up to heat, I dipped halves of English muffin into the egg mixture, holding it down with a fork for a few seconds to let all the nooks and crannies absorb more egg mixture.
As you can see, my skillet was large enough to cook four pieces, which is all I wanted for an experiment. I tried pouring additional egg mixture on the individual pieces in the skillet, but I just ended up dumping egg mixture in the skillet, which I separated from the French toast pieces with my spatula.
After flipping the pieces, I tried spooning extra egg mixture into individual pieces, but that didn’t get me very far. Again, I should have used only 1/4 cup milk.
In the end I served my finished experiment with butter and maple syrup along with a side of hash browns and sausage links. Again, I think using half the milk would make it better, but as it was, it turned out pretty good! I might be making this again in the future, but with winter just around the corner, I have some other experiments I want to try as well as some tried-and-true baking standards to fill my kitchen time. I’ll be sure to post on what glories come forth from my kitchen.
Traditionally, my mother spearheads the effort to make breakfast on Christmas morning. This year, since she's lost some of her zest for the kitchen, I thought I would take over and make breakfast for her. She loves blueberries, so I thought this gem might just do the trick. It turned out far better than I could have imagined. And best of all, it's extremely easy to make.
I made some hash browns as well, but I won't go into their preparation. After all, if you don't know how to make hash browns, then . . . well, you should probably look into it.
Here you can find news and announcements I want to share. In between I'll include reviews of the books I read. Find me on Goodreads.com for more book reviews.